Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can't access Nautilus trash bin
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SERGIO_372
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Jul 2020
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Can't access Nautilus trash bin Reply with quote

Hi there! I've been using Gentoo as my main OS for a couple of days by now, in the meantime, I was able to make really good progress. But there is a small bug that is annoying me. Is that when I tried to access the trash it gives me the following error "This location could not be displayed. Sorry, could not display all the contents of trash:///: the specified operation is not supported." So to purge my deleted files I was just going to .local/share/Trash and using rm -rf * but this is not the "right" way to fix it. I'm not using Gnome as my DE just nautilus as a file manager
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Banana
l33t
l33t


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 680
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello SERGIO_372.

What is your DE?
_________________
My personal space
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SERGIO_372
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Jul 2020
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banana wrote:
Hello SERGIO_372.

What is your DE?
I'm just using i3wm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 4273
Location: Illinois, USA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the Mate/Gnome stuff uses dbus and gnome keyring and various RedHat specific interfaces.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the mate=panel works on openbox. Except for the logout/reboot/shutdown buttons. Delving into the code (yuck! i need a bath!) I found that the buttons send messages (via DBus ?) to mate-session to tell it to do the action. Some googling revealed that for openbox all that is needed is to launch "openbox --exit" or "openbox --reboot" et cetera. That does work. I've tried it from a terminal shell. I'm considering forking the code and just patching that. But, I suspect the menu can't be updated without gconf and mate-session so you might as well run Mate directly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SERGIO_372
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Jul 2020
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Most of the Mate/Gnome stuff uses dbus and gnome keyring and various RedHat specific interfaces.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the mate=panel works on openbox. Except for the logout/reboot/shutdown buttons. Delving into the code (yuck! i need a bath!) I found that the buttons send messages (via DBus ?) to mate-session to tell it to do the action. Some googling revealed that for openbox all that is needed is to launch "openbox --exit" or "openbox --reboot" et cetera. That does work. I've tried it from a terminal shell. I'm considering forking the code and just patching that. But, I suspect the menu can't be updated without gconf and mate-session so you might as well run Mate directly.

Sorry I didn't get it. I'm not using Mate nether Openbox
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 4273
Location: Illinois, USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SERGIO_372 wrote:
Sorry I didn't get it. I'm not using Mate nether Openbox

I've been using Mate for years but considering switching to Openbox. It's lighter and quicker. What do you use? Or do you launch applications directly with atarx?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SERGIO_372
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Jul 2020
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
SERGIO_372 wrote:
Sorry I didn't get it. I'm not using Mate nether Openbox

I've been using Mate for years but considering switching to Openbox. It's lighter and quicker. What do you use? Or do you launch applications directly with atarx?

I use rofi to launch my applications. Never used Openbox as WM but I'm very satisfied with i3 (easy to customize and use). Maybe someday I will get out of my comfort zone and experience something else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Posts: 4273
Location: Illinois, USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nautilus is really intended for gnome. I'm betting it's sending some message to D-bus that never gets answered because the target doesn't exist.
The picture I get from reading descriptions of D-BUS is that it was invented so that messages could be sent and later picked up by another program that may not have have been running yet.
If that is correct, I agree with those (I haven't seen them lately) that say D-BUS is a band-aid put on poor system design instead of fixing the design errors. I'll admit that design errors, high level design errors, are much harder to fix than coding errors, but generally not as hard as specification errors (solving the wrong problem versus using the wrong algorithm vs bad implementation of the algorithm).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leio
Developer
Developer


Joined: 27 Feb 2003
Posts: 494
Location: Estonia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trash:// virtual filesystem for nautilus (and any other gtk app) is provided by the gnome-base/gvfs package.
_________________
GNOME team lead; GStreamer; MIPS/ARM64
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SERGIO_372
n00b
n00b


Joined: 26 Jul 2020
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Nautilus is really intended for gnome. I'm betting it's sending some message to D-bus that never gets answered because the target doesn't exist.
Maybe.


Leio wrote:
trash:// virtual filesystem for nautilus (and any other gtk app) is provided by the gnome-base/gvfs package.
Was already installed. I even try to reinstall and review the use flags to see if I was not missing something but still didn't work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leio
Developer
Developer


Joined: 27 Feb 2003
Posts: 494
Location: Estonia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SERGIO_372 wrote:
(gvfs) Was already installed. I even try to reinstall and review the use flags to see if I was not missing something but still didn't work.

As alluded by others, you may need a working dbus session bus. I believe it would get started automatically on X startup if dbus is installed, BUT NOT if you have a ~/.xinitrc file, as then it assumes you want to take care of these manually. If you don't, trash:// probably won't work.
_________________
GNOME team lead; GStreamer; MIPS/ARM64
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum